Thomas Franklin Waters wrote in “Candlewood” that the lots at 68 and 74 Essex Rd in Ipswich were part of the original grant to Rev. Nathaniel Rogers, who was ordained pastor of Ipswich, Massachusetts, on 20 Feb. 1638, succeeding Nathaniel Ward as co-pastor with John Norton. He died at Ipswich on 3 July 1655, aged 57. As was customary, desirable residents were granted a lot for a house in town, and a larger lot beyond the town commons for a farm. The farm was inherited by Rogers’ two sons, John Rogers who had become president of Harvard College, and Samuel, who received a house and 8 acres (Ips. Deeds 5: 146).
In March 1832, George W. Heard sold an acre and a half to Levi Brown, who had bought a half acre from his father. The Brown family were prominent settlers of the Candlewood area. He built a dwelling that stands at 68 Essex Rd., and is known as the “Levi Brown house.” Brown quitclaimed to his brother Francis, who sold to Henry S. Holmes, 2 acres and buildings, March 9, 1842 (330: 18). Holmes sold to Willard B. Kinsman, April 1, 1851 (456: 112), who enlarged the 1832 house by building a connected new house facing the highway.
The Patch family of Ipswich was related to the Brown family of the Candlewood neighborhood through marriage. Margaret Patch deeded property with a building thereon to Emily Patch in 1897. The 1910 Ipswich map shows a house just to the east of 68 Essex Road occupied by “Miss Patch.” Emily G., Patch, a single woman acquired the property from her mother Margaret Patch in 1897, and appears to have lived in the house for her entire life. The property was willed to Anne Bell Burrage by the will of Emily G. Patch in 1950.
In 1953, the front part of 68 Essex Rd. was separated from the rear section and was moved to the adjoining empty lot at 74 Essex Rd., purchased by an Anne Bell Burrage, wife of Albert Cameron Burrage Jr. from Neil C. Raymond. The combined Burrage property was referred to as the “Patch Trust.” Mr. Burrage was the son of Albert Burrage, a wealthy industrialist residing in Boston who became president of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society in 1921 and was the founding president of the American Orchid Society. In 1933, seven women met at the Ipswich home of Mrs. Albert C. (Anne) Burrage, Jr. and formed the Herb Society of America for the intent of research and study.
The house still standing at 68 Essex Rd. is owned by the Raymond family under the title “Buttonwood Trust.” The 1832 front addition that was moved to 74 Essex Rd. in 1953 or 1954 is the Willard B. Kinsman house.
- Candlewood, an Ancient Neighborhood by Thomas Franklin Waters
- Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony by Thomas Franklin Waters
- Kinsman Family
- Ancestry: Harriett Mariah Manning
- Vital Records of Ipswich to 1850
- The 1832 Ipswich map shows the owner as Levi Brown.
- The 1856 map shows the owner as W. B. Kinsman.
- The 1910 Ipswich map shows the owner as “Miss Patch.”
- Conveyance by Nathaniel Rogers to his son Samuel Rogers, who received a house and 8 acres (Ips. Deeds 5: 146).
- Conveyance by Holmes sold to Willard B. Kinsman, April 1, 1851 (456: 112)
- Conveyance by Margaret A Patch to Emily G. Patch in 1897: Salem Deeds 1504, page 577. The deed includes a parcel of land with buildings thereon, and refers to land of Stone and Carlisle abutting.
- “Patch Trust 1949”: Conveyance by Emily G. Patch to Anne B. Burrage, (3719, 187) “being the same premises conveyed to Emily G. Patch by Margaret A. G. Patch in 1897.”
- Sale of lot at 74 Essex Rd. by Neil Raymond to Anne B. Burrage, Oct. 1953.