Ipswich, Massachusetts was founded in 1634 in an area the Native Americans called “Agawam” and is known as America’s best-preserved Puritan town. There are more remaining First Period houses (1625 through 1725) in Ipswich than any other town in the country, and the historic neighborhoods of Meeting House Green, High Street, the East End, and the South Green offer well-preserved streetscapes of 17th to 19th-century residences. This is a list of Ipswich houses built before 1800, in chronological order. View more information and houses at https://historicipswich.org/1st-and-2nd-period-houses/
View houses by date of construction
- Houses built before 1725 (First Period)
- 17th Century Ipswich houses
- 18th Century Ipswich houses
- 19th Century Ipswich houses
- 20th Century Ipswich houses
8 Agawam Avenue, the Newmarch – Spiller house (1798) – Hannah Newmarch Spiller was Zaccheus’ grandaughter and wife of Thomas Newmarch, who is assumed to have built this house.The estate was bequeathed by Hannah’s sister Martha Newmarch (who was unmarried, to Hannah Spiller, daughter of her late sister.
The earliest section of the Giddings-Burnham House at 43 Argilla Road in Ipswich was built in the mid-17th Century by carpenter George Giddings who immigrated from Norfolk, England. The earliest documentation for this property was the deed of sale between George Giddings and his brother-in-law Thomas Burnham in 1667.
53 Argilla Road, the Samuel Kinsman house (1750-77) – Samuel Kinsman received this property in a bequest from his father Capt. John Kinsman, who married Hannah Burnham in 1733. The house is generally dated circa 1750 with a 1777 wing from an existing structure that was moved.
107 Argilla Road, Argilla Farm (1785) – In 1637, John Winthrop Jr. conveyed his farm to Samuel Symonds, who became Deputy-Governor of the Colony. It came into possession of Thomas Baker, who married one of Symonds’ daughters. Allen Baker built the hip-roofed farm house in 1785. It was purchased by Ephraim Brown and inherited by his son Thomas.
153 Argilla Road, the Isaac Goodale House (1669) – This First Period house was built in West Peabody before 1695. In 1928 it was reconstructed at 153 Argilla Road by Robert and Susan Goodale.
155 Argilla Road, the Homan-Isley house (moved here in 1951) – This house was moved to this location from Ilsley Farm in W. Newbury. Architectural features suggest an 18th Century origin.
164 Argilla Rd. the Francis Cogswell homestead, 1743 – Francis Cogswell purchased this property in 1743, but the date of construction is uncertain.
168 Argilla Road, the Tilton-Smith house (c 1720) – Built circa 1720 by Abraham Tilton Jr., a 1998 fire took away much of its original frame, but the owner totally rebuilt the home with with materials salvaged from 18th and 19th century structures throughout New England.
178 Argilla Road, the Stephen Smith house (1742) – Sagamore Hill, which is near Fox Creek and Argilla Roads, was originally apportioned in small tillage lots to a considerable number of owners. The house was built by Stephen Smith, who bought the land in 1742.
232 Argilla Road, the Patch-Brown-Crockett house (c 1760-85) – John Patch died in 1799 leaving the Sagamore Hill farm to his grandson Tristram Brown, who built the dwelling, which he operated as a boarding house on the way to the beach. Dr. Eugene A. Crockett bought the property along with its dairy and hay farm in November 1897.
14 Candlewood Road, the Joseph Brown and Elizabeth Perkins house (1779) – Elizabeth Brown, descendant of the early Candlewood settler John Brown, was the wife of Captain Perkins, and gained possession of this lot. In December, 1779, their daughter, Elizabeth, became the wife of Joseph Brown, of the same family line, who built this house.
41 Candlewood Road, the Boardman house (c 1730) – Bryan Townsend completely restored this second-period 1750 home built by Captain John Boardman or his son Thomas. The barn that Townsend restored received the 2009 Mary Conley award for historic preservation of an Ipswich property.
49 Candlewood Road, the Robert Kinsman house (b 1714) – Robert Kinsman constructed this First Period house before 1714, and the home has been greatly expanded over the years. Stephen Kinsman inherited the house in 1726, and with his wife Elizabeth Russell brought up a family of twelve children. They dwelt in the old Robert Kinsman homestead until 1767 when he sold his farm, 47 acres and buildings to Samuel Patch.
59 Candlewood Road, the Jeremiah Kinsman house (1752) – Stephen Kinsman built the house at 59 Candlewood Rd. in 1752. He bequeathed to his son Jeremiah “all my lands in Walker’s Swamp with the dwelling house and buildings thereon, recorded Dec.27, 1756, by which time Jeremiah and his wife Sara Harris were living in it. This house is protected by a preservation agreement with the town of Ipswich and the Historical Commission.
65 Candlewood Road, the Rhoda Kinsman house ( 1776 / 1818) – Jeremiah Kinsman died in 1818, and his will bequeathed the “Walker’s Island farm” to his sons Jeremiah and William in equal parts. William or his son William Jr. built this house next door, which was known as the “cottage.” It came to be occupied by Rhoda Kinsman, daughter of William Jr.
83 County Road, the Rogers-Brown-Rust House (1665-1723) – The house at 83 County Road is believed to be three houses joined together, at least one from the First Period. In 1836 the house and lot were conveyed to the South Parish as a church site. Asa Brown bought the house and removed it to its present location.
86 County Road, the Burnham – Brown house (1775) – This house was built in 1775 on a lot on Candlewood Rd., probably by Thomas Burnham. In 1821 Nathan Brown bought the house from Oliver Appleton, and 3 years later he removed it to its present site on County Rd. Brown and others enlarged and remodeled the old Burnham House, but some 18th century features remain.
88 County Road, the Col. Nathaniel Wade House (1727) – This house was built in 1727 by Captain Thomas Wade. On September 25, 1780, his son Nathaniel Wade received an urgent correspondence from General George Washington that General Arnold had “gone to the enemy” and to take command at West Point. The house is protected by a preservation covenant with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
219 County Rd., Samuel Appleton “Old House” (1794) – Appleton Farms is one of the oldest continuously operating farms in the country, gifted to the Trustees of Reservations by Francis and Joan Appleton. It was originally granted to Ipswich settler Samuel Appleton. The farm continued in family ownership for seven generations. The property consists of forests.
5 County Street, the Richard Rindge house (1718) – The First Period house at 5 County Street was originally on upper Summer St., moved to this location in the last half of the 19th Century.
7 County Street, the Thomas Dennis House (1663) – Shoreborne Wilson, a cooper, built a house and shop on this site about 1660. Thomas Dennis, the well-known master joiner, bought the property in 1663. The rear ell of the present house dates from that period, The 5-bay front section of the house dates to the 1750’s.
9 County Street, the Benjamin Dutch house (1705) – This was built early in the 1700’s, and was owned by one of several men named Benjamin Dutch who owned and sold properties throughout town. The asymmetrical facade and timber frame are typical of First Period construction.
10 County Street, the Dennis – Dodge House (1740) – The 1740 Dennis-Dodge house was owned by Captain John Dennis, whose father Thomas Dennis was a renowned woodworker and owned a home across the street. A succession of Dennis family members retained this property. Captain Ignatius Dodge (1816 – 1901) inherited the house. In the early 1800’s, Eunice Hale maintained a school in the building.
11 County Street, the Bennett – Caldwell house (1725) – Joseph Bennett built this early Second Period house in 1725. In 1818 the house was sold to Capt. Sylvanus Caldwell, who engaged in maritime trade along the coast from Massachusetts to Maine for a half century.
15 County Street, the Rev. Levi Frisbie house (1788) – This house at 15 County Street was built in 1788 for Rev. Levi Frisbie, pastor of First Church in Ipswich. He continued in the pastorate thirty years until his death in 1806, succeeded by the Rev. David Tenney Kimball.
16 County Street, the Abraham Knowlton house (1726) – The original house is believed to have been constructed between 1725 and 1740. The house was in poor condition and in 2003 was restored by Ipswich architect Matthew Cummings. It is identical in construction to the Dennis-Dodge house a few doors away.
47 County Street, the Benjamin Grant house (1723) – The Benjamin Grant House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. It appears to have been originally built as a half house. Benjamin Grant was born in 1701 in Ipswich to Robert and Mary Grant, who emigrated from England. Benjamin married Anne Perkins in 1722, and was killed in the French and Indian War in 1756.
8 East Street, the Captain Matthew Perkins house (1701) – Winner of the 1991 Mary Conley Award. this well-preserved 1st Period house sits on a former orchard lot that was sold in 1701 by Major Francis Wainwright to Matthew Perkins, a weaver and soldier. In 1719 Perkins opened an inn and tavern in this house, “at the sign of the blue anchor.”
14 East Street, the Baker – Newman house (1725) – John Baker obtained a section of the land extending down East Street to Spring Street, originally granted to Rev. Cobbet. John Baker Jr. sold eight acres with buildings including land on the hillside to Nathaniel Jones Jr. in 1742. Jones sold the house and lot to George Newman Jr., a weaver.
18 East Street, the Baker-Dodge house (1727) – This house was built by John Baker III, and was purchased by Mary Dennis Dodge in 1818. The house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the town of Ipswich.
26 East Street, the Staniford – Polly Dole -John Updike house (1687-1720) – Part of this house was constructed in 1687 for Deacon John Staniford and his wife Margaret. It acquired its current form in 1720. This was the home of writer John Updike, and has a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
27 East Street, the Widow Elizabeth Caldwell house (1740-1755) – Joseph Wait sold this lot to Elizabeth Caldwell, widow of Thomas, in 1829. She moved a house from another site onto her property. The rear two story wing is believed to be the older house, joined together when the house was moved. Structural evidence suggest a construction dates of about 1740 to 1775 for the two sections.
30 East Street, the Jordan – Snelling – Potter house (c 1708) – John Potter purchased the lot in 1708 with all the buildings, including the “old house, new out-houses, etc.” Structural evidence reveals that the house was built in two stages, and that the west side is the earliest portion. The house was owned in the 1950’s by Hollie Bucklin who renovated the building so that it appears to be a medieval revival cross-gabled house.
38 East Street, the John Harris house (1742) – Thomas Harris purchased land along East Street in 1665. His son John was deputy sheriff and transported accused witches to Salem for trial. This sizable Georgian house was built by John Harris, 3rd or 4th generation. The property descended to Capt. Stephen Baker, whose heirs owned into the 20th Century.
59 East Street, the Daniel Ringe house (1719) – The small lot fronting on East Street was sold to Daniel Ringe, Oct. 16, 1719 . It was sold to John Holland, Nov. 6, 1742. Daniel Ringe was an early settler of Ipswich, and as a young man worked as a cow-herd. Captain Ringe was a soldier in the Indian wars and became a prominent citizen of Ipswich.
62 East Street, the Treadwell-Wainwright House (1691 / 1726) – Capt. John Wainwright bought 3 1/2 acres from Nathaniel Treadwell in 1710 and built part of this fine Georgian mansion, which features elaborate panels and molding, re-used summer beams, and a massive early fireplace.
76 East Street, the Hodgkins – Lakeman House (c1690) – William Hodgkins built this house before 1700. In 1718 he sold the dwelling to Archelaus Lakeman and the property remained in the Lakeman family for almost 200 years. The Lakemans were a sea-faring family with extensive wharves and warehouses on the property and on the Town Wharf across the street.
80 East Street, the Perkins – Hodgkins House (c 1700) – The Perkins-Hodgkins house is believed to have been built in 1700 on the foundation of the earlier Jacob Perkins home. The house has been greatly expanded over the years, but the original asymmetrical structure continues to anchor the corner with Jeffreys Neck Road.
16 Fellows Road, the Ruth Fellows house (1714) – Joseph Fellows acquired the farm by inheritance and purchase. He served in the King Philip war and married Ruth Fraile on April 19 1675. He died before 1693, and Mrs. Ruth Fellows died on April 14 1729.
44 Fellows Road, the Joseph Fellows Jr. house (1734) – The corner of Upland Road was known in early days as Fellows Lane, and it was near this corner, perhaps on this lot, that William Fellows, who settled in Ipswich in 1635, is believed to be buried. This house was constructed in 1734 by Joseph Fellows Jr.
31 Fox Creek Road, Bennett’s Farm (1680) aka “Labor in Vain House.” – Henry Bennett, who was born in England but was one of the early settlers of Ipswich. He bought land for the 200-acre farm in 1654 from Jonathan Wade and became known as “Farmer Bennett.”
12 Green Street, the Andrew Burley house (1688) – Andrew Burley bought this lot in 1683 and built a house shortly thereafter. He became a wealthy merchant and updated the house with fine Georgian features. Burley was a justice of the Sessions Court and was elected representative to the General Court in 1741. Capt. John Smith purchased the house in 1760 from the estate of Andrew Burley’s widow Hannah and operated it as Smith’s Tavern.
42 Heartbreak Road, the Thomas and John Low house (before 1684) – The first parts of this house were built before 1684 by Thomas Low Sr. or by his son John Low. This house is an example of a First Period home, with an overhang at the gable end like those on the side of the Whipple House.
45 Heartbreak Road, the James Burnham house (1690) – The first period home was built in 1690 and has been remodeled greatly. It is an example of the distinct architecture that flowered in Ipswich in the late 17th century.
1 High Street, the Nathaniel Rogers Old Manse (1727) – The house was constructed for the Rev. Nathaniel Rogers in 1727 by Ipswich cabinet-maker, Capt. Abraham Knowlton. In the early 1900’s the building was known as “ye Olde Burnham Inn”. This house is protected by a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
3 High Street, the John Gaines house (1725) – The John Gaines house at 3 High St. is a 1725 building remodeled in 1806 with Federal trim. The Gaines family in Ipswich are famous for the chairs they produced. The home also served for over one hundred years as the Episcopal rectory.This house has a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
9 High Street, the Samuel Newman house (1762) – Joseph Newman built the house at 9 High Street in 1762. It was later owned by Samuel Newman. The present form of this house is composed of at least 3 structures, and the attic tells the story. It started out as a colonial home with a center chimney and center entrance.
13 High Street, the Joseph Willcomb house (1669-1693) – John Edwards, a tailor, acquired the property in 1668. The earliest section was built by Edwards or his son when he inherited the property in 1693. Edwards was one of several Tithingmen appointed by the Selectmen “to inspect disorderly persons. Joseph Willcomb bought the house prior to 1762.
13 High Street, the Joseph Willcomb house (1669-1693) – John Edwards, a tailor, acquired the property in 1668. The earliest section was built by Edwards or his son when he inherited the property in 1693. Edwards was one of several Tithingmen appointed by the Selectmen “to inspect disorderly persons. Joseph Willcomb bought the house prior to 1762.
17 High Street, the Thomas Lord house (after 1658) – In 1634 this lot was granted to Robert Lord, one of the settlers of Ipswich, and was deeded to Thomas Lord, a cordwainer who built the early section of this house in 1658. The oak frame encloses a two-room over-two-room house. The saltbox leanto is not integral, indicating that it was added later.
21 High Street, the Haskell – Lord house (c 1750) – This fine house was built circa 1750 by Mark Haskell, an Ipswich cabinet-maker. Haskell served as a Light House Volunteer during the Revolutionary War. Daniel Lord married Eunice, the daughter of Mark Haskell, and Haskell conveyed to him the house and an acre of land in 1767, which is the first registered deed.
26 High Street, the Philip Call house (1659) – This 2-story timber-frame First Period house was built by cordwainer Philip Call about 1659, enlarged around 1725. In 1967, the owners uncovered a chamfered 17th century summer beam and field paneling behind Victorian-era walls. The house has a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
27 High Street, the Edward Brown House (1650) – Edward Brown was the original owner of this site in 1639, and the east side of the present house is believed to have been constructed under his ownership around 1650 as a one-room over-one-room floor plan. In the mid-18th century the west side of the house was built. Architectural features of this house are protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission.
33 High Street, the John and Sarah Dillingham Caldwell house (1660/1709) – In 1654, Cornelius Waldo sold to John Caldwell for £26 the house and land he bought of Richard Betts. Caldwell removed the old house and built the present house with massive summer beams, a huge fireplace, a very substantial house of the 1660’s.
30 High Street, the Joseph Bolles house (1722) – Joseph Bolles, a carpenter bought this lot from Joseph Fowler with an acre of land and a house on it in 1722, which is the assumed date of this structure. This house began as a central chimney house, one room deep. Rooms were later added to the rear, and the roof rebuilt to cover the doubled house. The original oak frame is now thoroughly concealed, and second and third period trim dominate the house.
34 High Street, the White Horse Inn (1659 / 1763) – John Andrews, innkeeper sold this lot with a house in 1659. The First Period structure was greatly altered and expanded after its purchase by Jeremiah Lord in 1763, and took its present appearance around 1800. It stayed in the Lord family into the 20th Century.
37 High Street, Lord – Baker House (1720) – The house is believed to have been built by Robert Lord III in 1720. The property continued in the Lord family until 1775, when Samuel Baker, felt-maker and hatter, purchased it. This early 2nd period house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission.
39 – 41 High Street, the Daniel Lummus house (1686) – This house has elements dating to 1686 but was significantly rebuilt in 1746. Jonathan Lummus bequeathed to his son Daniel “a small piece of land out of my homestead adjoining to his homestead to make a convenient way to his barn.” in 1728.
40 High Street, the William Caldwell House (1733) – William Caldwell built this house after purchasing the lot in 1733, The house remained in the Caldwell family into the 20th Century. Key features of the house include a large kitchen fireplace and exceptional period trim.
43 High Street, the Fitts- Manning-Tyler house (1767) – This house is believed to have been built in 1767 at today’s 42 North Main Street. Sophia Tyler bought a lot on High St. in 1873 and removed the Fitts house to the property. Located between the Daniel and Jonathan Lummus houses, the three properties are on land that was originally granted to Thomas Dudley, governor of Massachusetts for four years, and Ann Bradstreet, America’s first poet.
44 High Street, the Francis Goodhue house (circa 1800) – This house displays refined Federal-era features indicating the late 18th or early 19th Century for its construction. The barn and the lower level of this house may be half a century older.
45 High Street, the John Lummus house (1712) – Jonathan Lummus, who served in King Philip’s War in 1675 was appointed a tithing man by the town in 1700. Lummus bought Captain Symon Stacy’s land and dwelling on High Street in 1712. This parcel had originally been granted to Thomas Dudley, Governor of Massachusetts. The house underwent a careful restoration by Phillip Ross in 1964.
52-54 High Street, the Henry Kingsbury – Robert Lord house (1660) – Henry Kingsbury, the earliest known owner of this lot, is first mentioned in Ipswich Records of 1638. The oldest elements of the present house date to 1660, the year Henry Kingsbury sold a house and lot to Robert Lord. Key features of this house include a hidden room and 10 fireplaces.
57 High Street, the Stone – Rust – Abraham Lummus house (c 1750) – This cape saltbox was built by Robert Stone and has many original features, including vertical feather edge sheathing. William Rust bought the house in 1851 and his heirs occupied the estate into the 20th century. The separate workshop/barn on the northwest corner is believed to be a former cobbler shop, once connected to the house.
66 High Street, the John Harris-Mark Jewett house (1795) – This house was built in 1795 by John Harris. In 1784 John Heard convinced the town that if it would buy John Harris’ previous home at the corner of High and Manning, he would provide $400 annually for the care of the poor.
68 High Street, the Wood – Lord house (c 1740) – After her husband Daniel disappeared in 1727 at Penobscot Bay after being attacked by Indians, the court allowed Martha Ringe to marry John Wood before the customary three years had passed “in order to advance her circumstances.” It was owned by Nathaniel Lord and his heirs in the 19th Century.
73 High Street, the Nathaniel Lord house (C 1720) – This house is named after Nathaniel Lord who spent 36 years as the Register of Probate in the Ipswich Court. The western half of this house predates the eastern side and may have 17th Century elements.
77 High Street, the John Kimball house (1680) – Richard Kimball owned this lot in 1637. The property passed to John Kimball, and the present house dates from the time of his ownership. It belonged to the Lord family through the 19th century.
82 High Street, the John Brewer house (1680) – John Brewer came to Ipswich with his father Thomas Brewer who is shown living in Ipswich in 1639. Town records show that in 1662 the town constables were ordered to pay John Brewer 20 schillings, charges he was due “about constructing the fort”. John Brewer Sr. died on June 23, 1684.
83 High Street, the Isaac Lord house, 1696-1806 The house was in the Lord family for several generations. It appears to be quite old, with a massive stone chimney base, low ceilings, wide board floors, and asymmetrical construction. There is a tradition that the old 1771 Jail on Meeting House Green was moved in 1806 to this location, but this house seems much older. The house is currently under extensive renovation.
85 High Street, the Elizabeth and Phillip Lord house (1774) – This house was built about 1774 by Phillip Lord when he married the widowed Elizabeth Kimball Warner who owned the property. In 1832, the house was acquired by Benjamin Fewkes, who smuggled the first lace stocking machine into this country from England in 1818. He set up his hosiery shop In the rear of the house.
88-90 High Street, the Shatswell-Tuttle house (right side by 1690 / left,1806) – The oldest section of the Tuttle – Lord – Shatswell house was built before 1690 for Deacon John Shatswell, who joined the Ipswich settlement in 1633 with his wife and four children. It remained in the family and was the home of Col. Nathaniel Shatswell, famous for his command of Union troops during the Battle of Harris Farm. during the Civil War.
95 High Street, the Simon and Hannah Adams house (c. 1700) – Simon Adams, a weaver and veteran of King Philip’s War, owned this property in 1707, according to a deed of the adjoining property. (20:15). This “half-house” was originally extended as a leanto over the rear rooms. In 1906 the front door and old sash were changed and around 1919 the east ell was added.
100 High Street, the Joseph Fowler house (1720 – 1756) – Joseph Fowler, a carpenter bought the lot in 1720. Records indicate that a house may have existed before Fowler obtained it. The house has a 1-1/2 story, gambrel roof with a central chimney and exposed “gunstock” posts.
103 High Street, the William Merchant house (1670) – The building dates to approximately 1670, but the right half may contain timbers from a previous structure on this site which was built in 1639. That simple story and a half cottage is believed to have been built by William Merchant who arrived in Ipswich with John Winthrop and the first settlers. The section on the left was added in 1672.
104 High Street, the John Kimball house (1715) – This is is one of three John Kimball houses along High Street, two said to have been built by the father, the third by the son. The 1st period house has a chamfered summer beam and wide plank tongue and groove sheathing. This house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission.
106 High St. the Caleb Kimball house (1715) – Caleb Kimball (1) was born in 1639 in Ipswich, the son of Richard Kimball and Ursula Scott. The owner has maintained the left inside as a First Period home, with exposed beams and a large fireplace. The right inside was updated with Georgian features, plaster ceilings and a Rumford fireplace.
108 High St., the Dow-Harris house (1735) – This dwelling began as a half house, two rooms in depth, and was constructed about 1735 for Margaret Dow and her second husband John Lull. The entry room retains its original interior casings. Additions date to the 19th Century.
110 High Street, the John Kimball Jr. house (1730) – John Kimball Sr. acquired this land in 1708. Kimball’s son, John Jr. built the house and a barn. The eastern half is older, and its timbers were originally exposed. The driveway is the original High Street before the bridge was constructed in 1906.
115 High Street, the Baker – Sutton house (1725) – The widow of Daniel Bosworth, a cowherd sold the lot with a dwelling in 1702 to William Baker, who built the present dwelling. The pilastered chimney and elaborate doorframe were added later.
307 High Street, the Moses Jewett house (1759) – Moses Jewett married Elizabeth Bugg of Rowley. He was Captain of a Troop of Horse in Col. John Baker’s Regiment, which marched on the Lexington alarm, April 19, 1775 and also marched to Gloucester on November 29th of the same year.
321 High Street, the Aaron Jewett – Mark Cate house (1780) – Aaron Jewett’s daughter, Eliza married Mark Cate of Rowley, and for years it was known as the “Cate house.” Sarah Houghton bought it in 1912 and opened a popular tea-room known as “The Rose Tree Inn.”
3 Hovey Street, the John Kendrick house (1665) – John Kenrick, a cooper by trade, owned this lot in 1665,. He and his son sold it to to Thomas Staniford in 1706. Structural evidence supports a construction date of about 1670. Much of the trim dates from the late 18th or early 19th centuries.
47 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Paine house (1694) – This picturesque house remains on its original saltwater farm location. Three generations of the Paine family made their home here, From 1916, Greenwood Farm was a summer retreat for the Robert G. Dodge family, who used the Paine House as a guesthouse.
52 Jeffreys Neck Road, Shatswell Planters Cottage (c 1646) – This small building on Strawberry Hill was moved from High Street and is believed to have been the original planters cottage of John Shatswell or his son Richard.
52 Jeffreys Neck Road, Ross Tavern – Lord Collins house (c 1690) – The house was moved from South Main Street in 1940 by David Wendel and restored to a high-style First Period appearance on the basis of observed physical evidence. The Collins-Lord house on High Street was moved and attached to the rear of this house.
68 Jeffreys Neck Road, the Captain John Smith house (c 1740) – Richard Smith came from Shropham, Co Norfolk by 1641. His farm came into possession of Richard Smith. To his son, John, for £170, he conveyed an 18 acre pasture, bounded in part by the river, “with the new house and half the barn, standing at the south-east end of ye great field.”
66 Labor in Vain Rd., the Giddings-Gould-Weatherall house (1795-1850) – This house was the home of Joseph and Abigail Patch Cogswell who married in 1797. Their son David became an important figure in Wisconsin. For 48 years this was the home of Mary Weatherall.
27 Lakeman’s Lane, the Benjamin Fellows house (1719) – Ephraim Fellows was a private in Captain Thomas Burnham’s Company which marched on the alarm of April 19, 1775, fighting in the Battle of Lexington. He inherited the homestead of his father Benjamin on Lakemans Lane.
41 Linebrook Road, Old Cross Farm (c 1717) – Originally a smaller house, constructed by John Denison the elder, it came into the possession of of Nathaniel Cross in 1761 and became a 25 -acre working farm. Several generations of the Cross family lived in this house, operating a weaver’s shop, fruit farm and poultry operation.
51 Linebrook Road, the Hart House (1678) – The oldest parts of the Hart House were apparently constructed in 1678-80 by Samuel Hart, the son of Thomas Hart, an Irish tanner who arrived in Ipswich in 1637. The two oldest rooms are exact duplicates of the originals, which were moved to museums in the early 20th Century.
297 Linebrook Road, the Joseph Chapman house (1720) – This house is one of the oldest structures in Linebrook. The post and beam frame has summer beams with simple bevel chamfers, supporting the 1720 construction date.
315 Linebrook Road, the William Conant house (1777) – William Conant (1747-1826) amassed considerable real estate in Ipswich. His son William, known locally as “Young Squire Bill” was a selectman, assessor, and overseer for the Town of Ipswich for many years.
341 Linebrook Road, the Lot Conant house (1717) – Architectural evidence, family history and deed research indicate that the oldest (center) part of this house was the home of Lot and Elizabeth Conant, the first of that family in Linebrook, constructed in 1717.
375 Linebrook Rd., the Thomas Foster house (1800) – This area was settled by Fosters in the mid 17th century and remained in the family until the late 19th century, when it became part of the adjoining David Tullar Perley property. This is one of three traditional five-bay, two-floor Federal houses in Linebrook.
421 Linebrook Road, the Abraham Howe barn (1725) – This early 18th century barn served several generations of the Howe family, and was converted to residential use in 1948. Elizabeth Howe, convicted as a witch and put to death in 1692, lived nearby.
437 Linebrook Road, the Allen Perley farm (1784) – Part of this structure is an older home that was moved from Rowley to this location by John Perley. He and his son Silas expanded it in either direction. Over the years, a large area of land along Linebrook Road came into the possession of the Perley family.
20 Market Street, the Stacey-Ross house (1734) – In 1733 John Stacey “being incapable of labor ” petitioned the town that he may build a house beside the rocky ledge on the lower North Green “for selling cakes and ale for his livelihood.” The house was moved to this location 100 years after its construction.
35 Mill Road, the Captain William Warner house (1780) – The road from the dam to Topsfield road was originally located west of Mill Rd. This house was moved from its original location near the bridge, and a section of the old road is now the driveway.
50 Mill Road, the Caleb Warner house (1734) – Caleb Warner, clothier, bought Michael Farley’s interest in the dam and married the 16-year-old daughter of the miller, By 1755 he had a large farm and built this mansion. The rear section incorporates two earlier structures dating to before 1734, the year he came into possession of the land.
22 Mineral Street, the Ephraim Harris House (1696, alt. 1835) – The earliest sections of this house were built by Daniel Warner in 1696 on Market Street. In 1835, Ephraim Harris, builder, was commissioned by Capt. Robert Kimball to build a new house on the lot. Harris removed a portion of the Warner house to his own land at the corner of Central and Mineral Streets, and enlarged it.
3 Newbury Road, the Philomen Foster house and barn (1787) – Philomen Foster was a deacon of the Linebrook Church and was a member of the Linebrook minutemen. This 18th century cape retains much of its historic character.
2 North Main Street, the John Appleton house (1707) – This was the first house in Ipswich to have a third story, which was removed by Daniel Noyes around 1768 after he bought the house. In 1962 the Appleton House was purchased by Exxon, which intended to build a gas station on the site. The Ipswich Heritage Trust was formed to save the house, the first major preservation action in Ipswich.
38 Newmarch St., the Tobias Lakeman House (1732) – n 1732, Stephen Minot acting on behalf of the heirs of Francis Wainwright, deeded a three acre parcel for £75 to Tobias Lakeman, a fisherman who drowned 6 years later in Casco Bay.
8 North Main St, the Ebenezer Stanwood House (1747) – This house is named for early owner Ebenezer Stanwood, a peruke-maker. The framing and decoration indicate a First Period structure constructed between 1709 and 1747 when Stanwood acquired a portion of a house from Ebenezer Smith.
12 North Main Street, Treadwell’s Inn (1737) – In 1737, Captain Nathaniel Treadwell opened an inn in this building. John Adams visited Ipswich frequently during the 1770’s in his capacity as a lawyer and always stayed at Captain Nathaniel Treadwell’s inn. It was erroneously named the Christian Wainwright house, which no longer stands.
19 North Main Street, Thomas Manning house (1799) – This house was built by Dr. Thomas Manning in January, 1799, and remained in the family until 1858, when it became a parsonage. This house is protected by a preservation agreement between the owners and the Ipswich Historical Commission.
36 North Main Street, the Dr. John Manning house (1769) – This house has one of the first preservation agreements in Ipswich, created by the Ipswich Heritage Trust. Dr. Manning was also an inventor and built an unsuccessful wind-driven woolen mill on the site of the present Caldwell Block next to the Choate Bridge. His second mill at the Willowdale Dam was more successful.
38 North Main Street, the Old Post Office (1763) – This structure was built in 1763 as part of the historic Dr. John Manning property. Probably originally a barn or warehouse, it became the post office in 1790. This building also served as the shop of Daniel Rogers, a master gold and silversmith who later moved to Newport RI.
48 North Main Street, the Thomas Morley house (c 1750, alt. 1845) – This house and its northern neighbor, 50 North Main, were a single structure before 1845, when Thomas Morley bought the southern portion of that house, separated and rotated it 90° to present a gable end to the street, and finished it for his dwelling. Thomas Morley was an artist and taught painting in his school on Summer St., which stood behind the present 47 North Main.
49 North Main Street, the John Chapman house (1770) – This house was built in 1770 by John Chapman a “leather breeches maker.” In 1822 Captain Ephraim Kendall sold the house to Ebenezer and Daniel Russell, and throughout the rest of the 19th Century the house stayed in the Russell family.
50 North Main Street, the James Brown house (1700 / 1721) – The James Brown house is part of a larger 1700 house that was divided into three houses in the late 18th Century. The chamfered oak frame in the southern portion indicates late First period, while the northern section appears to date from the 1720’s. The Morley house next door was separated and turned sideways.
52 North Main Street, the Treadwell – Hale house (1799) – This building is believed to have been built after the land was sold to Nathaniel Treadwell 3rd in 1799. He transferred to Joseph Hale one month later. There is a stone cooking hearth in the basement of the house, which is protected by a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
57 North Main Street, the Day-Dodge House (1696-1737) – This unusual double house has two entrances and asymmetrical bays. The corner at North Main and East Street is the oldest section and appears to have elements of a barn constructed by Francis Wainwright at this location in 1696. This house is protected by a preservation agreement.
58 North Main Street, the Captain Richard Rogers House (1728) – Captain Richard Rogers bought this lot in 1728 and built this high style, gambrel roofed house shortly thereafter. The balustrade, paneling and shell cupboards in this house indicate a high-style Georgian influence, one of the finest of its vintage in New England.
2 Old England Road, the Captain Treadwell house (1748) – The Captain Treadwell house features Georgian-era construction. Captain Treadwell’s ships, “The Dolphin,” and “Hannah” sailed from the town wharves, where they loaded to Trinidad, St. Lucie, Point Petre and other West India ports.
2 Poplar Street, Swasey Tavern (1718) – John Ayres built a house in 1693, and sold it in 1705 to John Whipple, who did extensive alterations. In 1725 Increase How purchased the “good mansion house” from Whipple and ran an inn. In 1789 President George Washington addressed the citizenry from these steps. It was owned by General Joseph Swasey in the early 19th Century.
5-7 Poplar Street, the Dr. John Calef house (1671) – This house was built on South Main St. between 1671 and 1688 by Deacon Thomas Knowlton. In the mid-18th Century the house was owned by Dr. John Calef, a Loyalist. John Heard moved the house to its present location in order to build his elaborate Federalist home which now houses the Ipswich Museum.
6 South Main Street, the Shoreborne Wilson – Samuel Appleton house (1685) – This house was built by joiner Sherborne Wilson,. The house was purchased in 1702 by Col. Samuel Appleton, the eldest son of Major Samuel Appleton. At the time it was still a two-room central chimney structure, and it is believed that Appleton expanded the building on the southeast side. The house is listed in the National Historic Register of Historic Places.
31 South Main Street, the Joseph Manning house (1727) – A house on this lot was purchased by Timothy Souther in 1794 and stayed in the Souther family until 1860. It was taken down in 1917, and the Dr. Joseph Manning house was moved to this location so that an automobile dealership could be constructed across from the Old Town Hal
54 S. Main St.,, the Heard House / Ipswich Museum – The Museum provides tours of the First Period Whipple House and works by nineteenth-century Ipswich Painters including Arthur Wesley Dow.
59 South Main Street, the Philomen Dean house (Old Lace Factory) (1716) – Dr. Philomen Dean bought this lot in 1715 and built a house. After various owners, the building was sold to the Boston and Ipswich Lace Co. in 1824, and an addition was built. In the late 19th century the building was used by as a tea room.
69 S. Main Street, the Samuel Dutch house (b 1733) – Samuel Dutch bought this land in 1723 and built this house by 1733. The front appears to have been enlarged with a third floor and a hip roof during in the early 19th Century. The rear wing has a chamfered summer beam, suggesting that it was an older house.
1 South Village Green, the Captain John Whipple House (1677) – The oldest part of the house dates to 1677 when Captain John Whipple constructed a townhouse near the center of Ipswich. The Historical Commission moved it over the Choate bridge to its current location and restored to its original appearance.
5 South Village Green, the Aaron Smith house (1776) – Aaron Smith married Lucy, the daughter of John and Eunice Baker next door. A metal worker, He produced bayonets for the Revolutionary War. The clocks he produced are highly valued.
7 South Village Green, the Rev. John Rogers – Col. John Baker House (c 1700, remodeled in 1761) – Daniel Rogers sold his homestead to John Baker in 1761 and Baker built this house, which has much original material, including Georgian paneling and original fireplaces. This house is protected by a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
5 Spring Street, the Henderson house (1770) – This house stayed in the Henderson family through the 19th Century. In the 1960’s it was the site of a gunfire exchange with Ipswich police officers.
3 Summer Street, the Benjamin Kimball house (c 1720, alt. 1803) – This house dates to about 1720 and was a single-floor 2 room cape moved to this location in 1803. The first floor outside corners have gunstock posts, evidence that they once supported the roof.
5 Summer Street, the Widow Fuller house (1725) – In 1754, Elizabeth Fuller sold this house and land to Thomas Treadwell, who also owned the house at 7 Summer Street. Stylistic evidence points to a construction date of c. 1725. Originally the house was one room deep, with a cased frame. An ell was added at the turn of the 19th century.
7 Summer Street, the Thomas Treadwell house (C 1740) – The original house consisted of a large room with a chimney and entry at the right. Raised field wainscotting in this room is the most exceptional early second period feature. The house was altered in the mid-18th century, and the kitchen and small rear room are finished with trim from this period. In the mid-19th century new stairs and a new chimney were built. The sloop, “Endeavorer,” under Capt. Thomas Treadwell, was included in the fishing.
11 Summer Street, the Nathaniel Hovey house (1718) – Nathaniel Hovey Sr. lived only to the age of 28, about the time of the birth of his son Nathaniel Jr. in 1696. This house was probably built by the younger Hovey. The asymmetrical layout of the front of this house is because Hovey built a half house and expanded it later. A modified Beverly jog is on the left.
15 Summer Street, the Jonathan Pulcifer house (1718) – Jonathan Pulcifer built this house in 1718 on Summer Street, one of the “oldest ways” in Ipswich. He was a descendant of Benjamin Pulsipher, an early settler of Ipswich who died in 1695.
19 Summer Street, the Solomon Lakeman house (before 1745) – This lot was owned or occupied by Solomon Lakeman in 1745, but could have been constructed earlier. The 1832 map shows the owner as “The widow Lakeman.”
27 Summer Street, the Thomas Knowlton house (1688) – Humphrey Bradstreet. sold his house and land to Deacon Thomas Knowlton in 1646. In 1688 Knowlton passed his house and land to his grand nephew Nathaniel Knowlton with a new house erected on the property, and it is this house that survives today.
39 Summer Street, the Foster – Grant house (1717) – In 1717 Nathaniel Knowlton sold a small lot to James Foster who is believed to have built the house. In 1826, the family sold to Ephriam Grant, and the house was long known as the “Grant house.” Early Colonial features are preserved throughout the house.
43 Summer Street, the Wilcomb-Pinder house (1718) – This timber-framed First Period house was built in 1718 by William Wilcomb. The interior of the home features hand-hewn summer beams, wide plank flooring and the original fireplaces. The next owner, William Benjamin Pinder was a corporal with Col. Appleton’s company during the French and Indian War.
46 Summer Street, the James Foster house (1720) – James Foster bought this former orchard land in 1720 from Nathaniel Clark who moved to Newbury. The northwest side is the original half-house, which was doubled in size and remodeled to appear Georgian, with the two chimneys, dormers and a symmetrical front. The house was owned by the Soward family in the 19th Century, and partially burned.
24 Topsfield Road, the Moses Kimball house (1688) – The land on which the Moses Kimball house was built, is part of a larger grant to early settler Samuel Appleton. His son John Appleton sold a five and 3/4 acre lot on the south side of Topsfield Road to Moses Kimball, a taylor, who built some portion of this house in 1688.
114 Topsfield Road, the Goodhue – Adams house (1763) – The home at 114 Topsfield Road is known as the Goodhue-Adams-Patch house. The Goodhue and Adams families were among the original settlers in Ipswich. The house is believed to have been built in 1763.
130 Topsfield Road, the Robert Wallis house (1703) – The Robert Wallis house at 130 Topsfield Road dates to the first half of the 18th Century. Original parts of the house may date to 1703, but the chimneys at either end of the building are indicative of a major 1750 renovation. Ensign Nicholas Wallis was born in 1633.
208 Topsfield Road, the Joseph and Judah Goodhue house (1767) – After the death of Chrales G. Rice in 1943, the Winthrop family purchased their farm and the old Goodhue house. The Winthrops built a large house close to the river, and left this house still standing.
1 Turkey Shore Road, the Burnham-Patch-Day house (1730) – This house has a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission. The house was built by Thomas Burnham in 1730 on the foundation of the earlier house he bought in 1667. The large ell on Poplar Street was added in the early nineteenth-century. Abner Day bought the house of the heirs of John Patch in 1814 and kept a well-known tavern.
2 Turkey Shore, the Heard – Lakeman House (1776) – Nathaniel and John Heard bought this land in 1776 and built the present house. Nathaniel sold the house to Richard Lakeman III in 1795. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, and has a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission.
41 Turkey Shore Road, the Howard – Arthur Wesley Dow House (1680) – William Howard purchased this lot from Thomas Emerson in 1679 and built a half-house which was enlarged in 1709. From 1891 to 1906 Arthur Wesley Dow and his wife Minnie ran the Ipswich Summer School of Art in the house.
48 Turkey Shore Road, the Nathaniel Hodgkins house (1720) – The house at 48 Turkey Shore Road is believed to have been built by Nathaniel Hodgkins in 1720 on land formerly owned by Daniel Hovey. The gambrel roof indicates early Georgian era construction, and the rear ell was almost certainly constructed at the same time as an attached living area or kitchen, connecting to a utilitarian building. A second floor was added to the ell in the 19th Century.
67 Turkey Shore Road, the Stephen Boardman house (1720) – This house is named for Stephen Boardman, the son of Thomas Boardman and Sarah Langley. He and his wife Elizabeth Cogswell moved to Stratham, NH where he made a name for himself as a vocal supporter of the American revolution.The wide pine board floors in the house are original, and 4 restored fireplaces share a central chimney.
61 Turnpike Road, the John Foster house (1780) – The sign that hung at Foster’s Tavern has been stored in a barn at the Ipswich Museum for a century.and reads, “I shoe the horse, I shoe the ox I carry the nails in my box I make the nail, I set the shoe, And entertain some strangers too.”
11 Waldingfield Road, “Applefield,” the Oliver Appleton Farm (1759 and earlier) – This property was part of the original Samuel Appleton farm. The 18th Century homes of Oliver Appleton and his son Oliver Jr. were moved a short distance and combined into one house by Charles Tuckerman.
8 Warren Street, the Harris – Grady house (1720-1772-1887) – In 1887, William Russell removed a house built in 1772 by James Harris at 12 High Street and built his Victorian house. The old house at that location was removed to 8 Warren St., in the ownership of David Grady, and expanded.
12 Warren Street, The Louisa Wells house, (c1700) – The Ipswich town assessors site indicates that this small house was constructed in 1700. The building was moved a short distance from Loney’s Lane to face Warren St. at the beginning of the 20th Century.
10 Washington St., the Mary Holmes – Captain John Lord house (b. 1770) – The house was constructed before 1770 at 45 N. Main St., and was moved to this location in 1860 by Michael Ready. The second floor was probably added at that time.
6 Water Street, the Reginald Foster house (1690) – Ipswich deeds list the transfer of a house at this location from Roger Preston to Reginald Foster in 1657, but construction of this house dates to about 1690. Massive chamfered summer beams in the right section, the sharp-pitched roof and purlins provide evidence of the early date.
8 Water Street, the Harris-Sutton House (1677) – Abner Harris bought this lot and enlarged the house in 1743. When the house was dismantled and reconstructed in the early 21st Century, evidence was discovered indicating that the eastern part of the house may date to 1677.
12 Water Street, the Glazier – Sweet house (1728) – This house was built in 1728 by Benjamin Glazier, a sea captain, and transitions the First and Second Periods of Colonial construction. The original half house and early Beverly Jog addition remain intact, with later additions.
28 Water Street, the Harris – Stanwood House (1696) – The Harris – Stanwood house was built in 1696 by John Harris. John Stanwood acquired the property in 1809 and it remained in his family for many years. The right wing was added c. 1884.
32 Water Street, the Jabesh Sweet house (1713) – Jabesh Sweet built this house on a quarter acre lot by the river at 32 Water Street in 1713. People said that the ghost of Harry Maine the Mooncusser haunted the house that once sat where the garage for this house now stands. He was found guilty and staked to the Ipswich Bar for eternity.
36 Water Street, the York – Averill House (1715) – Captain Samuel York built this house in 1715 after selling two smaller lots on East Street. The earliest portions of this house date from the early years of his ownership, Benjamin Averill, a Revolutionary War veteran, bought the house in 1793 and it remained in the Averill family until the late 19th century.
9 Woods Lane, the Francis Merrifield – Mary Wade house (1792) – Francis Merrifield, Jr. bought this corner lot from his father in 1792 and built the gambrel cottage. Mary Wade, Jr., daughter of Col. Nathaniel Wade of Revolutionary War fame, bought the property in 1827. She bequeathed her estate to her nephew, Francis H. Wade. The house remained in the Wade family well into the 20th Century.
11 Woods Lane, the Merrifield house (1792) – The oldest part of the large house at 11 Woods Lane was built in 1792 by Francis Merrifield, Jr. who served as a lieutenant in Capt. Nathaniel Wade’s Co. during the Revolutionary War. The Merrifield House, also known as Rosebank, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980 and is a past recipient of the Mary P. Conley award.