Groveland, MA was settled as the East Parish of Bradford, a part of the town of Rowley in the early Colonial era. Before Bradford was separated from Rowley in 1672, it was called “Rowley on the Merrimack”, or just “Merrimack.” Bradford in turn was annexed by Haverhill in 1897 after a bloody and violent conflict. Groveland officially incorporated as a separate town on September 9, 1850. The town relied primarily on agriculture and small-scale manufacturing (fulling, saw and grist mills, along Johnson’s Creek; tanning yards, chaise factory, shoe shops) with some shipbuilding on the Merrimack River.
Information about the following Prerevolutionary Groveland houses are from the Massachusetts Historical Commission site. Follow the GRV link to download a PDF inventory sheet with additional historical information. Photos are from the Town of Groveland assessors site at Patriot Properties.
1 thought on “Colonial-era houses in Groveland, MA”
are there any grants to restore these houses